Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tried it Tuesday- Simple Mother's Day Gift (and cheap!)

Well, I am enjoying spring break!  It was a long time coming, but worth the wait.  I have done four loads of laundry, ran errands, visited my dad, did some shopping and lots of relaxing!  Tomorrow I am excited because three of the teachers I work with are coming up to visit me and we are going to go eat at the Culinary Institute of America and take a walk over the Walkway over the Hudson.  I am excited to show them where I live because I live in a different state then I work in.  I live in New York, but teach in New Jersey.  I live a double life!

Well enough about me...I am excited to be linking up for the first time with Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tried it Tuesday!

Photobucket
Today I want to share with you a great gift idea for Mother's Day.  For the past three years, I have been having my classes make painted coasters for Mother's Day.  Each year they come out better and better.  This project is very simple and does not cost a lot of money.



What you need:
- white bathroom tiles (at Lowes the are 15 cents each)
- Americana Gloss Enamels paint
- brushes 
- cups of water
- paper plates
- newspaper

I gave each student four tiles.  Write their name on the back with a marker, this way you know who's is who's.  I put newspaper on each desk and gave each student a cup of water and a paper plate.  I use the paper plates to put the paint on, it makes it so much easier for each student to have their own plate then having them share.  With using paper plates, everything just goes in the garbage when they are done.  I only bought five colors of paint and let the students choose which colors they would like.  They do not need a lot of paint, just a little dot.  Passing out the paint takes patience and I tell the students that from the beginning.  

After paint is passed out, let the kids go to town.  I set newspaper some where else in my room for the tiles to dry.  They need to dry for 48 hours before being moved and baked.  After the 48 hours, the tiles need to be baked according to the instructions on the back of the paint bottles.  Once the tiles are baked, I glue foam on the bottom to make sure they don't scratch anything.

These make a great gift for Mother's Day or even Christmas.  I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from parents about this project.  Everyone loves that it is useful for everyday.  I love that it doesn't cost more than $1 per student and that they come out beautiful.


Some students like to write words on the tiles.



Some like to free style it!  I love how each is so unique and represents the students personality!

Please let me know what you think!  Hope you have a blessed Tuesday!

Rosie


4 comments:

  1. I love doing these!!! :) thanks for the reminder- it's been a few years! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super cute. I like that they are cheap, but creative and personal. Thanks for the idea!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Thanks for stopping over at my blog.

    I noticed you don't have a signature link yet... You need to write it in code and then copy and paste it at the end of your comments (after your name). I have mine saved in a word document that is locked so I can't accidentally change it- then when I comment on people's pages I just copy and paste it at the end.

    I tried to explain how to do it in this comment but it just turns my explanation into links (because I'm writing in html code) so if you want me to explain send me an email at magicmistakesandmayhem@gmail.com and I'll reply with the explanation of how to do it for you :)


    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I have pinned it to remember when it is crunch time for Mother's Day projects (and the tests are over!). Thank you so much for linking up, Rosie!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete