Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Peace, Hope, Love and Kindness


I am linking up with three wonderful blogs today- Ideas by JiveyCollaboration Cuties and Head Over Heels Teaching.  Today's theme is Peace, Hope, Love and Kindness.  I am going to focus on kindness.  My school has a school wide motto of "Obey the Law of Kindness".  This motto is taken from a Psalm 31:26 (KJV), 'She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness'.  This theme is all over my school and I love it!  My students are not perfect in their kindness, and often need to be reminded of obeying the law of kindness, but they do have an understanding of how being unkind to a person can effect them.  In the month of January, we have a school wide kindness challenge.  Our principal challenges the students to be caught being kind and every time a student is caught being kind they receive a tally point.  The tally points are then converted into dots that will cover huge 3-D letters of ALA.  Students in the school have three weeks to cover the letters with the final prize being a school wide pizza party.  Students work very hard to make sure they are being kind to one another during those weeks.  Each class also picks a student to receive the Kindness Award for the class.  It is neat to see who the students choose for the Kindness Award.  It is often not the most popular student, but a student who surprises everyone.  

I want to say thank you to all of the fellow bloggers who have been so kind to me over the last week, by leaving me encouraging comments or emailing me with suggestions.  I am truly grateful.  I know I am just beginning this journey, but I am grateful for the kindness you all have!

Rosie

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for linking up. I bet it's so neat to see the dots "grow" across those letters!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie, I found you through Jivey's Linky. We celebrate R.A.K. week at our school, but I love the idea of a school-wide kindness challenge. How inspiring!

    Best of luck with your blogging journey! If you need help with anything, feel free to email me. :) I'm kind of new to blogging too, but I'm starting to figure a few things out, finally. :) Stick with it! I'm your newest follower. :)

    Wendy
    ReadWithMeABC (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  3. A kindness challenge is such a good idea! kids love a challenge, so why not make it for something besides, "I'm better than you!" Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower! :)

    Mandy
    http://the4thgradejourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/peace-and-lovin.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea with the dots! Very cool! And I bet they get in the habit of being kind, which is even better!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have a schoolwide program-that's powerful and sends a wonderful message! Thanks for sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete