Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mentor Text Linky Party

Well, I enjoying my final day before I head back to school.  Spring break was great, wish it was longer, but I am ready to get back to school and finish the year out strong!  Today, I am linking up with the girls at Collaboration Cuties for their weekly linky party on Mentor Texts.  


This weeks subject is Social Studies!  When I read that Social Studies was this week, I knew instantly which book I would choose!  One of my favorite fun books to read to my kids is The Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller.  I love United States geography, so this books was a must have for me. 



Synopsis: Kansas is feeling lonely and doesn't like where he is placed in the United States.  He complains that he never meets any new friends.  He has a great idea to throw a party and invite all of the states and they can all switch places and experience somewhere new.  The states are all on board and find their way to different parts of the country.  After a little while, they are not liking their new location.  Florida is very cold because he switched with Minnesota and Minnesota got a sunburn because he forgot to put on sunscreen.  The states decide to switch back.  They were able to tell their neighbors all the adventures they went on, the good and the bad. But, they were happy to be home!

The books has some great humor throughout the book.  I would read this book when were were starting our study on the United States.  We would talk about why Florida was freezing when it switched places with Minnesota.  It gave a nice introduction to where the states were located.  I would then have the students use a map to fill in where each state. 

There are many games and other resources that have come out based on this book.  Laurie Keller, the author, also has some great resources on her website: lauriekeller.com.  

If you don't teach United States geography, I would suggest picking up this book any way!  It is a fun one!



Have a fantastic week!

Rosie


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a very fun book. :). I'm your newest follower.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this book! Thanks for sharing the author's website. I'll have to check it out!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute book! I haven't heard of it until today!

    I'm so glad you linked up! It looks like you figure out how to add everything! I'm sorry I wasn't here to respond faster! Your post looks great!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete