Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Alliteration Fun with Poetry

I love teaching poetry.  Unfortunatly, this year I am not teaching reading and language arts so I do not get to venture into poetry as much with my students.  Two years ago, I was reading poetry to my students and I can across the poem Bleezer's Ice Cream by Jack Prelutsky.  My students got a kick out of the poem and could not believe the combinations of ice cream flavors mentioned.  I decided to take the poem one step further and teach my students about Alliteration. 

First, we read the poem a couple of times, listening and marking the alliteration in it. 

Next, we brainstormed some of our own alliteration ice cream flavors.  We did some that sounded good and some that might fit into Bleezer's Ice Cream shop.  Each students wrote down three different flavors and check to make sure the alliteration was correct with a partner.

Our final step was to make a wall display of all of our ice cream flavors.  We did our display in the form of a giant ice cream cone with many scoops.  Each scoop was a different flavor.  We had many classes walk by reading our ice cream flavors and think they were very funny.  

My students loved this simple activity and understood what alliteration is.  They would often point it out in other poems and stories we would read together.

Grab this freebie:



I am linking up with: 


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

I am also linking up with 
Flying into First
This weeks topic:  My Classroom

Here are my three favorite spots in my classroom!

1. My Library


I have a bit of an obsession with books.  I love all kinds of books and I love even more when my students are reading books.  I have over 1000 books in my library and they are broken up into baskets by genre and subject matter.  I am always getting new books for my students...it is an obsession!

2. My Funky Fact Board


I appologize for the quality of this picture...they are from the beginning of the year and we are on spring break so I am not able to get better pictures.  This is a simple bulletin board I won a few years ago.  It has funky facts that the students find funny and interesting.  Some of them have even tied in with my cirriculum. 

Did you know...an elephants tooth can weigh up to 12 pounds!

3.  My Science Tables

I am sorry I do not have a picture of these.  I have four extra science tables in my classroom with chairs and stools around them.  I love bringing the whole class around for a science demonstration or spreading them out to work with partners or small groups.  One day a week we combine both fifth grades and the tables make it great for all the students to have a work space.  

Thanks for checking me out!  Have a great rest of your Monday!

Rosie


7 comments:

  1. What an awesome freebie, Rosie! Thanks for sharing :) I am printing it as we speak..err type :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through the linky! Welcome to the blogging world - I'm your newest follower! Thanks for the freebie :)

    -Liz
    Love, Live, and Teach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through Classroom Freebies! Thanks for the freebie. I love Bleezer's Ice cream store. I'm a,new follower.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun alliteration pack- so glad I found you through Manic Monday! Welcome to the blogging world- I'm a new follower!
    Aylin

    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the freebie! I absolutely love your reading area! The rug is super cute! I am a new follower :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting poetry this week. Thank you for the freebie. I'm a new follower.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete