Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mentor Text- Great Estimations

Happy Sunday!  I hope you have had a fabulous weekend.  We got a small glimpse of fall weather yesterday, which was very nice.  Today it was a bit warmer and it is supposed to get warmer throughout the week.  As I was trying to figure out outfits for the week, I was wishing it was a bit cooler.  I enjoy my colder weather clothes better!  Today, I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their weekly mentor text linky party.  This week the subject is math books!





The book I chose, I will actually be using in class tomorrow.  I am talking about benchmark numbers and this books gives great examples using items that we very rarely ever count out, like rice or Cheerios.   The book will show one page of 100 pieces of rice and then school a page and ask the readers to estimate how many pieces are on a full page.  I do have some kids who want to try and count, but they tend to loose patience after a few minutes.  This books gives students real like items to estimate. 


Check out all of the other great books people write about and maybe link up one of your own Mentor Texts!

Rosie


2 comments:

  1. I have this book and we almost linked it up! We are also working on estimations as well!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen this book before. I will have to find a copy, it looks perfect for estimations.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete