Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tried It Tuesday: Projects By Jen

Hello Blogging Buddies!  I hope you are all doing well!  Today, was a my first day back after a nice three day week-end.  I was very tired today, but it was a good day!  My students and I had fun learning and doing various fun activities!  I am linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tried It Tuesday!



Today, I want to talk about a site I fell upon sometime last spring...Projects By Jen.  This site has great projects that classrooms around the country can take part in.  The projects are very simple, but very fun and exciting for students.  I signed my students up for her O.R.E.O. Project (Our Really Exciting Online Project)!  It was  really an exciting project for my students to be involved in.  

The project consisted of stacking oreo cookies and finding the average of the classes stack.  Each child got two chances to stack cookies and they were took each students highest stack.  I told the students we would be inputting our information and comparing it to students in our grade level all over the world.  They were excited!  I did inform them it is not a stacking competition, but some of my boys were very competitive!

It was really neat to watch my students because they were finding out the sounds and movement could knock over their stacks, which is something we will talk about later in the year.  We also talked about finding the mean of a group of numbers.  I have two math and science classes so we found the average of each class and then took the average of both classes.  Our average matched the average for 5th grade around the world, which was neat for the students to see!



Building our towers...don't move...don't say anything!


Don't fall!!!


We had two baskets of Oreos.


Our attempt charts!



Best part...eating Oreos!

Check out Projects by Jen for some fun easy projects to use in your class!

1 comment:

  1. This activity looks great! I never followed through with Projects by Jen and should really check it out! When did your blog get the beautiful makeover?!? Sorry I have been such a bad bloggy friend and didn't notice until now! It IS gorgeous!! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete